We’re back to the routine of real life. There’s a great sense of loss still, but I can’t stay in that place for much longer. I miss the cheerful me. Mike and I have greatly been comforted by the Lord in real tangible ways since we heard about our adoption. I thought I’d write down a few of those ways here:
- We’re comforted by friends and family. For quick phone calls, emails, comments on this blog, hugs at church, seeing that others are hurting with us, etc. We’re thankful for our community group at church and for our relatives and long-distant friends who have kept in close touch through this.
- Personally, I was comforted by Mexican food. 🙂 There’s something about a basket of chips, the atmosphere of my favorite restaurant, and being with Mike that makes me feel better no matter what. Our dear friend came over after Max went to bed on Saturday and we stepped out for the night. It was wonderful to feel outside of our gloom for a bit.
- We’re comforted by humor.
- Little things like remembering that when Max saw me crying on Friday he ran to the bathroom to get toilet paper for my eyes. One time I slumped down on the couch hiding my face and when I looked up he was running from the bathroom with a stream of toilet paper trailing behind. How can you not laugh at that?
- At church on Sunday our pastor gave a great sermon about anxiety and giving our cares over to the Lord. He asked us to write down something we were feeling anxious about. Because I was on the verge of tears, I just couldn’t release the tight grip I had on my Kleenex to write anything down. But later in the service when we were invited to come to the front and throw our list in the trash can I still participated. I just went up there and threw away my wadded up tissues instead. I think I could picture God’s knowingly smile 🙂
- We’re comforted by our Faith. Bible verses that I never realized were there have really spoken to me this week. I know that our faith is strong and we’re growing through this. Mike reminds me that all God asks of us is to be faithful to Him no matter what. I also see how God is going to use all of this to do something really cool in our lives.
Thanks for your prayers. I’m going to go back to blogging about regular stuff now.